Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Splurging" for Others


I found this testimonial below and it really inspired me! I want to be able to help other people whenever they might need it. I wish I had a load of money to send over to Japan right now!! (I gave a homeless guy at the bottle depot my loose change today, I guess that's a start!) Here's the post:

"Even though we’ve only had one income for our family of seven, and that one income has always come from the notoriously underpaid field of education, we’ve never had any debt except for our mortgage which we vowed to pay off in less than five years (which we did). Our vehicles, home renovations, computers and all other purchases have always been paid for with cash.

A few years ago we heard about an orphanage in Burundi that was in distress. Its 20 young occupants shared two 10 x 10-foot rooms and had no running water or electricity. A piece of property had been located that had roomier buildings, water, power and a little land (i.e. for gardening, or some animals to help feed the orphans). Burundian refugees in America who were supporting the orphanage had no idea how to raise the exorbitant (to them) sum of $15,000 to pay for this in full, as apparently there were no mortgages in this primitive country.

Hearing about it through an emailed prayer request, my husband investigated the need, prayed and fasted, and ended up writing a check for the whole amount of $15,000! He was able to visit the property a year later with our daughter. What a heart-stopping, choked-up moment that was for them!

God’s ways are awesome and we’re so blessed to be a part of His will. My tightness paid off in that we were able to splurge for others far away when it was really needed!"

-An anonymous reader

Reader Testimonial: Frugality Allowed Us to “Splurge” For Others is a post from: Money Saving Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment